Tuesday, August 31, 2004

The Passion of the Christ

This review was originally posted on March 1, 2004 on my old blog page Thoughts of the Day. With the movie being released on DVD today I thought it was a good idea to post it again. My thoughts of the movie have not changed, if anything, because of my faith, it has only deepened.

THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST

On Saturday evening I went to see The Passion of the Christ with my friend Megan. After all the hype, hoopla, the denouncements and devotions I felt that I was prepared for the graphic violence. However, I was not ready for how I would feel while watching Mary’s heartbreak over the brutal treatment of her son. Some of the most deeply felt emotions were from Mary (played with sensitivity by Maia Morgenstern). I wept when she saw a bloody Jesus stumble and fall from exhaustion on his way to his death. A flashback scene showed Mary running to pick up and comfort her son when the toddler fell while playing. What mother could not empathize with Mary’s fear and helplessness?

The films violence is ruthless and unrelenting. The scourging of Jesus seemed endless. There were moments when I wanted to cry out and plead for them to stop. Equally brutal is the carrying of the cross, with Christ’s repeated falls and whipping, and the placement of him on the cross, with the nailing of his hands and feet. Around me I heard moviegoers gasp and cry when Jesus was whipped, spat upon and ridiculed. My friend Megan and I were among those who wept.

Mel Gibson has said that he believes the violence is necessary for a full understanding of the sacrifice. And Gibson is right - the horror and enormity of Christ’s sacrifice has never been more clear. Though moments of gore made me cringe and occasionally turn away, the over-all effect on me was gripping, deeply moving and thought-provoking.

What give this story a more ancient feel to it is the way Gibson has the characters talking in ways they actually may have talked, in ancient Aramaic and Latin (with subtitles) and the darkly vivid cinematography.

Is this movie anti-Semitic? I don’t believe so. Most of the characters came off looking bad: the politician who washes his hands of the crucifixion; the Roman soldiers who mercilessly beat Jesus; the unfaithful disciple who denies him when he needs him most and the Jewish leaders.

In my opinion this is a most impressive piece of work by a determined and talented filmmaker. I applaud Mel Gibson!

|