Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Memorable Scenes from Star Wars (1977)

I am a huge fan of the original Star Wars movies. I remember getting to the theater hours before it opened so that I could say that I was the first person in line and standing in the hot, summer sun without complaining. I was first in line to see each of the movies when they were re-released to the big screen a few years ago.

In celebration of the original Star Wars movies being released to DVD here are some memorable scenes from Star Wars...

Obi-Wan : The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.
****
Han Solo : Well, you can forget your troubles with those Imperial slugs. I told you I'd outrun 'em.
[Nobody is listening]
Han Solo : Don't everyone thank me at once.
****
Obi-Wan : I have something here for you. Your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough, but your uncle wouldn't allow it. He feared you might follow old Obi-Wan on some damn fool idealistic crusade like your father did. It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or as random as a blaster, but an elegant weapon for a more civilized age. For over a thousand generations, the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times, before the Empire
***
Darth Vader : Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force.
***
C-3PO : Listen to them, they're dying, Artoo. Curse my metal body. I wasn't fast enough. It's all my fault. My poor master.
***
Han Solo : Wonderful girl. Either I'm going to kill her or I'm beginning to like her.
***
Han Solo : Damn fool, I knew you were going to say that.
Obi-Wan : Who's the more foolish: The fool, or the fool who follows him?
***
[Princess Leia gets her first look at the Millennium Falcon]
Princess Leia : You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought.
***
Darth Vader : I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I met you I was but the learner. Now, I am the master.
Obi-Wan : Only a master of evil, Darth.
[lightsabers clash]
***
Han Solo : Not a bad bit of rescuing, huh? You know, sometimes I amaze even myself.
Princess Leia : That doesn't sound too hard.
***
[comm is blinking, Han hits the button]
Han Solo : Uh, everything's under control. Situation normal.
Voice: What happened?
Han Solo : Uh, we had a slight weapons malfunction, but uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?
[winces]
Voice: We're sending a squad up.
Han Solo : Uh, uh, negative. We had a reactor leak here now. Give us a minute to lock it down. Large leak, very dangerous.
Voice: Who is this? What's your operating number?
Han Solo : Uh...
[shoots comm]
Han Solo : [mutters] Boring conversation anyway.
[shouting]
Han Solo : Luke, we're gonna have company!
***
[Han is chasing some Stormtroopers]
Princess Leia : He certainly has courage...
Luke : Yeah, but what good will it do us if he gets himself killed? Come on!
[Luke and Leia run off in the opposite direction]

|